Achieving a good work/life balance is important for many people around the world. It has been estimated that the average person will spend about one third of their lives at work, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). This is true for about 58% of the global population. Knowing people spend so much of their time working, it is important for people to like what they do. This is important for an individual’s well being but also for the overall economy Happy workers are more productive and do a better job overall. When it comes to people who work in process excellence, the majority really love what they do.
Last year, the Process Excellence Network (PEX) put out its Process Excellence Salary Benchmarking Reportandnbsp;in which they look at what people who work in this industry feel about their job. After looking at the issue, they found that more than 65% of these workers referred to themselves as being “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with what they do for a living.
PEX did not stop at the question “Do you like what you do?” but they dove deeper to look into what these workers like about what they do. The following are the top 10 things these people like about their process excellence jobs:
- They have an impact on what happens on the manufacturing floor. Workers in process excellence like the fact that they can have a direct impact on the manufacturing process. That can mean they have input into the temperature controls or just on the day to day operations for many employees. Whether they are dealing with supply chain staffing or how to better help consumers, this is one of the more rewarding parts of working in this field.
- Process excellence work gives people the chance to collaborate. This field would not happen at all of there was not a decent amount of communication and support across departments. For many people who work in this area, the chance to work with different teams and collaborate with various departments within a company is one of the more fun parts of the job. Being able to implement change that makes a difference for multiple people, working in different parts of a business is very rewarding.
- They make workplaces more productive. It is hard to not be excited when you can see that your influence helped a business become more efficient and productive. For instance, when working with project management, seeing how your work made a process work better can be very rewarding. Many people who work in process excellence have strong skills in terms of coaching, teaching and mentoring. These are all very rewarding parts of the job and are curial skill sets for anyone who works in this field.
- You are never bored in this field. One feeling that people in the process excellence field do not get to experience is boredom. Many experts in workforce satisfaction see boredom as being the enemy of happiness at work. When you work in a field such as process excellence, this never comes up. People work on such a wide variety of projects, it is hard to get bored. That keeps many of these workers very happy. This is a big factor in determining their happiness level. When most people see how their work is having a positive impact on someone else, it tends to make them happier.
- Workers in process excellence have a lot of freedom. There is a lot of freedom and flexibility that come along with working in this field. That flexibility and freedom are some of the things that help people be more creative and get more accomplished with the projects they work on.
- They add value to whatever project they are working on. Most people like to feel like they have accomplished something worthwhile at work. People like to think that what they are doing has some meaning. Process excellence workers add real value to their projects and have a very positive influence on the bottom line for the companies with whom they work.
Most people strive to find work that makes them happy and that will have a positive impact on the world. People in process excellence are able to accomplish both goals.